You’ve been told you SHOULD be using video on Social Media, but have you been told WHY?
Read on to hear from Wendy Tibbotts of Zigzag Creative about WHY you should be using video content to create results on social media for your business…
Video gets the best reach, engagement, and results on social media. By storytelling and sharing authentic video content you are communicating effectively with your audience through a passive medium. This makes video highly consumable and easily shared.
In 2016 Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg explained that Facebook was prioritising video: “10 years ago, most of what we shared and consumed online was text. Now it’s photos. And soon, most of it will be videos. We see a world that is video first, with video at the heart of all of our apps and services.”
Need some stats on this?
- Social media posts with video have 48% more views.
- Over 1.9 billion people use YouTube. That’s about one-third of the internet.
- 62% of people said they were more interested in a product after seeing it in a Facebook Story.
- Facebook has over 8 billion video views per day.
- Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and image content combined.
- Video promotions are now equally as popular as photo promotions on Facebook.
- Mobile video ad spend is expected to be around 72% of the total digital ad spend this year.
(Stats courtesy of https://biteable.com/blog/video-marketing-statistics/)
So HOW does video create results?
People watch video passively on their mobile or desktop feeds. You’ll have experienced this too… you find yourself watching 10-20 seconds of a clip without even realising. This is why video is the best performing top of funnel content – the type of content that gets great organic reach and engagement. It makes video views the most affordable ad unit and is ideal for retargeting campaigns.
The goal with video content is to share ‘thumb stopping creative’. You want to grab the attention of your audience within the first few seconds of them seeing your video, even if there is no sound.
WHAT kind of video can you share?
There are so many ways to use video on social media. Not all video needs to be highly produced, in fact I would suggest you should balance professionally produced content with organic content (going live yourself / real behind the scenes footage) as this is more authentic.
- Explainer Videos
- Promotional videos
- Video blogs
- Customer testimonials
- Product videos
- Live Videos
- Behind the Scenes video
HOW can you create video content?
Professional Video Creation
Enlist a pro like Carrie from Red Feet Video to help bring your video ideas to life! Having professionally produced video content can make a huge difference to the results you get from your content. Professional content adds credibility and legitimacy to your brand and is ideal when combined with content you create yourself because the story is told from multiple perspectives.
Create video content yourself
There are so many apps and tools you can use to create video for social media from your phone. It doesn’t have to be complicated or high-tech. AND for those who struggle to film themselves, you don’t always need to be front and centre in videos yourself for it to have impact.
Here are some suggestions:
- Film content yourself and upload directly – no editing required! Keep it real!
- Use the Boomerang app (also in Instagram) to create quick videos, ideal for things that are moving
- Use Slow-Mo and Time Lapse video features on your phone to create captivating footage (time lapse is great for showing people doing things or cars driving by)
- Create video content and edit it to have text, images, music and cool transitions with mobile apps such Ripl or Boosted: Video Maker or desktops apps like InVideo (I use this a lot and highly recommend it)
- Create gifs – animated content that gets people’s attention. You can use Canva for this or sometimes I use Photoshop too.
- If you’re keen to get into some serious video editing use iMovie or Adobe Premiere Pro.
- Use captions so people can watch your content without sound – create sub titles in Facebook Creator Studio or use apps such as ZubTitle or Happy Scribe to apply them to your video.
HOW you can share video content?
- Post video content to your feed on Facebook, Instagram and LinkedIn
- Post Video content in your stories on Facebook and Instagram
- Share Video content in ads to drive awareness of your brand to new audiences, and to create conversions from retargeted audiences
- To post video content to Instagram that is longer than 60 seconds upload it to IGTV and share a snippet of it in your feed
- Share You Tube videos to your feed on Facebook and Linked In
WHAT format should you use?
- Square video is best for Instagram feed, but also works just fine in the Facebook feed.
- Landscape 16:9 is best for Facebook desktop or mobile feed. Although if placed in Stories ads on either Facebook or Instagram, your landscape video will be placed in the middle of the portrait screen.
- Vertical/Full Portrait 9:16 is best for the Stories format, but can also be used in the Facebook feed.
(Latest format info is from Facebook guru, Mari Smith at www.marismith.com)
HOW long should your videos be?
The most important thing is to consider the value you are giving with your video content. Consider the platform and the purpose of your video and tailor your video content to suit where and how it will be consumed
- Posting videos of just 5-15 seconds works well for both organic and paid content on Facebook. Or, up to 60 seconds if you prefer longer.
- Get your message across or ‘hook’ people in the first 3-5 seconds
- Facebook says videos of 3 mins or so will be shown to more people, however the value of the content is important. No one is going to hang around for 3 mins if you are just filling in time with boring or irrelevant chat or content.
- Longer videos are obviously more relevant for Facebook Lives, Webinars or Tutorials
- Post video content on Instagram that is less than 60 seconds to get it in your feed, or use IGTV as suggested above.
- Video content for stories should be short – they shouldn’t be novels! People can be turned off with too much content in stories (you know the accounts that have heaps of dotted lines across the top!) so you want to make your stories short and sweet.
Video can be fun and add so much personality to your business on social media – it makes a brand three-dimensional. Delight, educate and entertain your audience by trying out some of these suggestions and see what a difference it makes to your reach and engagement.
Make video an integral part of your 2020 marketing strategy!
Wendy helps passionate business owners to get clarity and direction with their marketing at Zigzag Creative.
Offering both done for you services and marketing coaching, Zigzag Creative specialises in creating results through strategic marketing, social media marketing, branding and graphic design.
You’ll find Wendy hanging out on Facebook & Instagram, or you can find out more about what she does at www.zigzagcreative.co.nz.
Need advice on how to add video to your marketing strategy, or producing the videos?
Red Feet Video specialise in working with service-based business owners to enable them to use video, effectively and consistently, to build relationships, generate leads and drive their business forward. We can support you at whichever step of your video marketing journey you are at, from concept and planning, through filming and editing, to how and where to use your videos.
Working together we make video marketing stress-free and achievable.
Ready to get started?
Get in touch and I can show you how!
You might also be interested in: